With so much to offer, Australia is the ideal destination for a longer stay as an au pair. The Au Pair in Australia program is designed to give you an opportunity to “live the Aussie way” and share the lifestyle. Australian people are very active and enjoy life to the fullest, spending a lot of time outdoors. After a day at the office, it is not unusual to enjoy a quick dip in the sea or meet up with friends on the beach. The day is often finished with an informal “barbie” (barbeque). Sports are also really important in Australia and many host families have their children participating in a wide variety of sports activities. From world-class restaurants to surfing and relaxing on the beach, every day brings a new experience!
On your days off, you will have a chance to make friends with people from all over the world: Australia has many international students and backpackers so there will be lots of other young people for you to meet. Go to the beach or maybe take a boat trip and get to know the Land Down Under!
About the job
Most au pairs in Australia provide between 25 and 35 hours of child care per week, and you may be asked to babysit in the evenings. The stipend you will receive is based on the number of hours you work per week, but can range between $170 to $340 AUD per week. Highly experienced candidates may be offered placements requiring additional hours, in which case additional compensation would be provided. Placements are available throughout the country and you may indicate any location preferences.
Your duties could vary depending on the children’s ages and the family’s needs. General au pair duties include taking the children to and from school, playing with the children, light housework as it relates to child care, preparing meals for the children, tutoring the children and more. Au pairs should have at least 100 hours of child care experience and a genuine love of children.
Fee: $500 regularly. Promotion during this month: if you apply now your placement is FREE
Other costs to consider:
- Visa ($420 AUD)
- Personal spending money
- Working With Children Check ($70 AUD)
Au pair World reserves the right to refuse acceptance to an applicant who we believe to be unsuitable for our programs for any reason.
As an Au pair in Australia, you’ll receive:
- Transportation from the airport to your host family
- Dedicated training materials for the Au Pair in Australia program and a welcome pack
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- A private room and full board
- A stipend of AUD 180-340 per week (final stipend will be included in the contract)
- Two days off per week
- Introduction to other au pairs in Australia
- Re-matching service (conditions apply)
- Access to help desk during office hours
- Pre-departure packet, including program guide,Au pair World notebook, tips and more
- Special Travel discounts
- Six months with one host family. It is also possible to do two six-month placements with two families.
We can match au pairs with host families throughout the full year. The best time to start is in January or February, as this is when Australia’s school year begins and when there is the highest demand among families. We have families available any month of the year.
We are currently accepting applications for au pair programs starting this year.
To be an Au pair in Australia, you must:
- Be an European, American or Canadian citizen between the ages of 18 and 26 and non smoker
- Have a driver’s license
- Have previous child care or babysitting experience and a genuine love of children
- Be able to commit to a placement for at least six months
- Meet the visa requirements for Australia
- Complete a successful interview with an Au pair World staff member
- Possess the physical and mental capacity and dedication to carry out the responsibilities of the program without interruption
- Provide a clear criminal background check
Elite Au pairs reserves the right to refuse acceptance to an applicant who we believe to be unsuitable for our programs for any reason.